Information Security Management
Organization Structure and Management Policy
Numerous emerging technologies have appeared during the COVID-19 pandemic. They create brand-new work settings which bring unprecedented challenges for information management and product security. ASUS established the Information Security Management Committee and assigned the CEO to oversee the management, to respond to the increasingly severe challenges and to enhance the corporate sustainable development. The Information Security Management Committee launched the ISO 27001 to create management procedures to meet international standards. Internal information security activities were planned, executed, and reviewed, to verify the activities and relevant results, meeting the targets and requirements of the information security management system.
Using the Information Security Management System as the basis, ASUS appointed the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) and set up a new dedicated unit - Digital Security Division in September 2021. The Company devoted in comprehensive plans and implementation of information security and product security with the aim of "building digital resilience, increasing brand trust; pursuing excellence, and ensuring security". We aim to become a supportive party for our subsidiaries, suppliers, and supply chain partners.
Three major management areas
- Focus on governance issues such as information security management in corporate and in supply chain, risks, and compliance
- Implement real-time monitoring of security threats in the internal and external information operating environment and provide contingency measures when incidents occur
- Launch safety engineering projects to strengthen the information security of ASUS products and services
Information Security Management Performances in 2021
Establishment of Security Mechanisms for Work from Home
- Used high security equipment,multi-factor authentication mechanisms, and regularly reviewed authorization status
- Enhanced the security of information system services and network connection for employees who work from home
Continuous Improvement of Employees' Information Security knowledg
- Sent information security guidelines to employees from time to time
- Implemented information security training and annual refresher training for all employees with a completion rate of 100%
Implementation of Information Security Drills
- Conducted 8 social engineering exercises to prevent email fraud in 2021
- Implemented information security drills to evaluate the level of the information security protection of the Group to deploy early defense mechanisms
Analysis of the Composition of Product Components
- Introduced open-source and third-party component composition analysis tool and managed the use of the software to enhance product security and compliance
- Obtained recommendations for security modifications and immediate reactions to a problem
Remote Backup Switch Drills
- Executed remote backup switch drills for the business continuity operations of core information systems to ensure that the Company was able to minimize the risks of business disruptions due to the anomalies
- Continued to improve employees' information security knowledge and organized information security drills. The number of violations of ASUS information security guidelines decreased gradually each month in 2021
Personal Data Protection Committee
In order to ensure the full implementation of the company's policies, the Committee holds regular bi-weekly meeting to implement and review annual objectives, and calls irregular meetings from time to time to adjust implementation measures and handle personal data relevant events. By the end of 2021, the Committee has held 270 regular meetings.
Main accomplishments of the Personal Data Protection Committee in 2021
Data inventory review
Continue to examine the nature of data collected, processed and used by the company to ensure the scope of regulatory compliance.
The Committee elaborates to the relevant departments on the data processing procedures that shall be modified and improved to be in accordance with personal data protection laws in response to the update of products or services.
Education and training
Education and training sessions are held annually to ensure all employees understand the company's policy. In 2020, 4 sessions were provided to employees in headquarters and in overseas offices.
Handle the request and inquiry of data subjects and supervisory authorities
The Committee is the central contact point for handling requests and inquiries of data subjects and supervisory authorities. ASUS shall respond to the requests from data subjects within the statutory period by law. The Committee collaborates with the relevant departments to handle requests and responds to the data subjects to fulfill the regulatory obligations. Inquiries from the supervisory authorities are also handled with the same approach to mitigate legal risks.
Annual internal audit
The responsible departments involved in the management of personal data are included in the scope of audit to cooperate the company's internal audit. With internal self assessment conducted by the departments, examination of service providers' practices conducted by the departments, and audits conducted by auditors, the Committee provides corrective measures and improvement approaches on non-compliant items to assist the responsible departments or service providers to improve their practices to ensure the full implementation of the company's policies and relevant management procedures.
Annual vulnerability scanning on personal data related websites
In order to reinforce security of websites and consumer data, the Committee requires the Enterprise Intelligence Data Development Center to implement vulnerability scanning on websites which provide external services and collect personal data. Based on vulnerability scanning evaluation report issued by the Center, the Committee conducts the tracking of vulnerability correction progress and audits the implementation of vulnerability management. The responsible department is required to improve on non-compliant items within a limited time period.
Main plan for Personal Data Protection Committee in 2022
- Continue to improve the interface for individual parties to file personal data requests as well as internal procedures.
- Review and improve company's degree of compliance in response to new legislation in countries such as Thailand and Vietnam.
- Increase overseas audits and assist related departments in performing supplier audits.
To ensure that information security measures or specifications comply with requirements of existing laws, the information security policy is reviewed annually
- Ensure confidentiality of relevant business information, prevent sensitive information and customer private information from various threats and damage due to internal or external, deliberate or accidental factors, which exposes business information under risks such as modification, exposure, damage or missing.
- Ensure the completeness and availability of relevant business information and thus correctly carrying out the operation, and to protect security of information assets.